Landing pages for Shopify and other e-commerce platforms: How to create them
On August 31, 2023 by Lukas Schmidt
Whether j, Shopware or other e-commerce platforms, landing pages are one of the most popular marketing strategies. Since Golden Web Age, as a Shopify agency, specializes in the largest e-commerce platform, I would like to discuss the special features of a Shopify landing page in this article. However, every operator of an e-commerce store should get their money's worth here. Finally, you will know how to build a landing page that converts.
- 1 What is a landing page in e-commerce?
- 2 Are product pages landing pages?
- 3 Why should you create a Shopify landing page?
- 4 How do you create a landing page on Shopify?
- 5 The most important elements of a Shopify landing page
- 6 What are the different types of landing pages?
- 7 8 Tips for better Shopify landing pages
- 8 Conclusion: Shopify landing pages bring you closer to your goals
What is a landing page in e-commerce?
A landing page in e-commerce serves exactly one goal, the conversion. That is, a landing page is good when as many customers as possible complete your set conversion goal. That's why landing pages are also known as "landing pages".
The conversion does not necessarily have to be the purchase of your product. For example, you can set the goal to get sign-ups for your newsletter. Any goal is legitimate as long as it serves your business.
Are product pages landing pages?
Product pages are not landing pages, even though they are often linked. The biggest difference is that a landing page always comes with a clear CTA (call-to-action). Also, there is not as much information as in a Product Page. It's more about evoking emotions.
Also, a landing page is more aligned with a planned marketing campaign, while a product page is more ehre optimized for search engines.
Why should you create a Shopify landing page?
Shopify landing pages are considered an important marketing tool to optimize the conversion of your e-commerce business. With different landing pages, you have many options to determine the sweet spot of your target audience. Ultimately, good Shopify landing pages ensure that more customers convert.
Here are the main reasons why online stores should take advantage of landing pages.
- Ease of creation: the clearly defined use case of a landing page makes it much easier to create than a full website.
- Scalability: Once you have found the formula for success for your online store, you can save the layout as a template and quickly create many landing pages for different goals.
- Personalization: You can customize each of your Shopify landing pages to match your ad campaign. With custom images and CTAs, you can increase the activity of your ads.
- Testability: A/B tests are also possible with landing pages. This way you can compare results and use the findings to optimize the UX/UI until the conversion rate satisfies you.
- Segmentation: Tracking allows you to direct returning customers to landing pages that are of interest to them in a segmented way.
- Increased conversion rate: At the end of the day it's always about a conversion rate increase, by setting up landing pages correctly you will see a lush increase in your conversion. By the way, we are happy to help with all processes related to landing pages in e-commerce
How do you create a landing page on Shopify?
- Log in to Shopify
- Go to the "Online Store" section
- Click on "Pages" in the drop-down menu
- Click on "Add page
- Now you can design your landing page
The most important elements of a Shopify landing page
- Headline: Your headline should succinctly state the main benefit of your offer.
- Subheading: It provides additional insight into the offer.
- Body text: Detailed information should be provided here to convince users to accept your offer.
- Visual media: To make the page appear more professional, images, videos or diagrams should be integrated. Images can also evoke emotions and highlight special product features.
- Lists: Lists can be used to clearly present the benefits of your offer.
- Testimonials: Customer testimonials give your landing page a trustworthy impression, which can increase the conversion rate.
- Call-to-action: A landing page always needs a clear call to action.
- Lead form: If the landing page aims to collect contact information from visitors, a form should be ready for them to enter their information.
What are the different types of landing pages?
There are many different landing pages, but they can be roughly divided into two categories. One is click-through pages and the other is opt-in pages.
The click-through page
Click-through pages aim to make a product, event or special promotion tasty for customers. At the end, there is usually a simple call-to-action button that directs users to the product in question.
This variant is mostly used in e-commerce stores and can sometimes significantly increase the success of online campaigns.
The opt-in page
With opt-in pages, the goal is usually to gain the contact information of visitors. Probably the best known opt-in page for Shopify stores is a landing page for the newsletter. Customers can then be segmented via email and directed to click-through pages with products that are of interest to them.
8 tips for better Shopify landing pages
From our experience, we can deduce certain points that lead to a better converting landing page. Here are the most important tips to make your Shopify landing page optimal.
#1 The headline decides the success
With the attention span getting shorter and shorter due to social media, it is important to convince the customer right at the first glance. That's why the headline needs to grab attention and arouse interest. This is where you should spend most of your time, you can also compare different headlines with A/B testing.
#2 Make it short
A landing page is not a blog post. You need to briefly and concisely tell potential customers why you can solve a problem for them. Keep the page clear and avoid long blocks of text. It is recommended to work with bullet points and bold formatting.
#3 Compact and fast
It is also important that the landing page loads quickly. Every second that passes during loading makes potential customers bounce. Therefore, the images should not be too large. Compression and modern formats, such as WEBP, also help to reduce file sizes.
#4 Purposeful design
Of course, the visual appearance also plays an important role. This not only ensures a good first impression, but also has a supporting effect on the target conclusion. Here, it is important to cleverly combine proven design rules with the corporate design.
#5 Rich Content
Nowadays, it's often no longer enough to convince with great pictures. A professional product video brings the greatest success with young buyers. With videos, it is also important to consider the short attention span, otherwise prospective buyers will jump off.
#6 make your USP clear
The USP (Unique Selling Point) is the unique selling proposition that differentiates your product from that of other sellers. This must be made clear on the landing page. Often the USP is only the branding, then you have to bind customers emotionally to your brand.
#7 Solve the problem
A good landing page always shows customers a problem and then explains how the following product can solve that problem.
#8 Social Proof
People find it easier to trust a brand or product when they see that customers already do. That's why a Shopify landing page should include product reviews and comments from satisfied customers that inspire trust.
Conclusion: Shopify landing pages bring you closer to your goals
I hope the overview of landing pages in e-commerce has brought you some new insights and you can now get started with the first pages. To really get started, you naturally need some experience, but this only comes through constant trial and error.
Feel free to check out our Shopify Beginner's Guide, where you'll find all the basics you need to know about running a successful Shopify store.
If the Shopify store is already running, it is a good idea to outsource the marketing to an online marketing agency in order to concentrate on the core competencies. Golden Web Age can help you with this, contact us for a no-obligation consultation.
If you have no experience with Shopify yet, you can now test Shopify for 3 months for only 1€/month.